Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bountiful Basket

So I finally purchased my first Bountiful Basket (for any of you that have NO idea what that is, it's a food coop that purchases fresh, local-at least as local as they can-fruits and vegetables in large quantities and then splits them between their "contributors." A basket is $15, plus $1.50 handling and there's a one time $3 new basket fee.) I also decided that I wanted to see the "inner workings" of the bountiful basket, so I volunteered this week also. I thought volunteering was fun and I scored an extra pineapple for my hard work! The basket contained only fruits and veggies that I could see us eating and only 1 vegetable that I had never eaten before. It was a colored cauliflower (also known in this variety as a broccoflower). I say "was" only because we already ate it! We also already ate a pineapple, a banana, an apple, the asparagus, and some of the tomatoes. . . and we only got it yesterday! The baskets are supposedly about $50 worth of fruits and veggies. I don't know that I would pay that much for them, but I usually will only buy fruits and veggies that are on sale. By my rough and low-end calculations of the stuff we got it wouldn't have cost me $50, but we still saved some money. Here's the "basket" in all it's gloriousness. . .


Delicious! Huh?!?!? I wondered if we would go through that many fruits and veggies in a week, but at this rate we probably could eat 2 in a week!! :) Don't know if I will get a basket every week still, but I think we'll definitely try it again. It's even kind of fun to have NO IDEA what you're going to come home with and even try some new things.

1 comment:

  1. We've been doing this for about a year, and we love it! We do it about every other week. I love trying new things and getting some stuff that I wouldn't usually buy. Definitely a great idea someone had to start it.

    ReplyDelete